Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sand.

I don't know about you but my fondest childhood memories include one common factor.... the outdoors. Playing with all of the neighbourhood kids until the street lights came on, collecting shells at the beach, finding yabbies and tadpoles at our nearby dam, riding bikes, climbing trees.... the list goes on.

In an attempt to reinforce outdoor, free-ranging play with our little people we will be linking up with 1000 Homes of Happiness' Playlist each week. It's a great idea riding on the coat tails of a bucket list of sorts recently released by the WA Government. The concept is to tick one outdoor play theme off your child's list each week in an attempt to make them better, resilient, well-rounded, fit adults. We're in.... and we think you should be too.

Jackie and I will take turns each weekend bringing a little bit of the outdoors to our four munchkins. My Master Spice (5) and Miss Sugar (2) and Jackie's, Miss Sweet (3) and Baby Spice (1).

This weekend's word is SAND which is easy when you have a beach on your doorstep :) 


We live with sand and sand lives with us.... it is always there!
It piles on my floor when Mr Spice gets home from kinder and removes his shoes, bringing half the kinder sand pit with him.
It falls on the pizza shop counter when I open my purse to pay, because I seem to have a portion of the beach living in my handbag.
It finds its way everywhere but IN the sandpit in our backyard.
It was one of the first solids my little people experienced, much to my horror... pumpkin, sand, sweet potato :)
It seems to have swallowed every one of my tablespoons thanks to sandpit imaginative cake mixing.
It brings so much delight, creativity, cooperation and most of all fun to my busy babies.

Stay tuned for next weeks edition of the playlist :)

5 comments:

CottonAndCard said...

Lovely post...can relate to all of it!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of people who live close to the beach. We have to make do with the sandpit. Popping over from the Playlist Linky :) Caz

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

Very lucky indeed sis... love that we live near the beach. Thanks for joining in the fun! So much to celebrate about the outdoors.

p.s- I have fond memories of collecting tadpoles when we were little. xox

Lee said...

I totally relate to sand being tipped out of shoes on to the lounge room floor after kinder. When will I learn??

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

Love the image of your handbag and mouthfuls of sand - I know that look well.